Monday, June 11, 2012

Empty-the-Jelly Jar Brownies


OK. I really like to buy new jars of jellies, jams, and preserves. I love the colors, the flavors, and the seemingly endless possibilities for use. Sometimes, though, I will collect seven or eight nearly empty jars in the fridge and will still find myself staring at the grocery shelf, wanting to throw another two or three in the cart. To ease my guilt and clear up some space, here's a way to use and get rid of bits of jelly left in the bottom of the jar.

Preheat your oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 pan. Combine 1 3/4 cups of sugar (I used raw, but you can use granulated), 1 1/2 sticks of butter, and 1/4 cup of coffee. Then, add two eggs. Mix. In a separate bowl, combine 1 1/3 cups of flour, 3/4 cup cocoa, 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar, a dash of salt. Blend all together.

Spread in a greased pan. Dollap some jelly on top. Watch out for Archie's nose.


Swirl it around with a knife. Don't mix it up too much, though. You want to leave ribbons of jelly throughout your batter. Throw it in the oven.


 

Build a fort in the living room for 18-20 minutes.

Pull out of oven when the brownies have just slightly pulled away from the pan and the middle springs back a bit when you touch it.


Yummy. 

Yes. I know this is a Get-Fit summer and that this recipe is for brownies. Brownies! With sugar and butter! In my life, I have gained and lost more than 200 hundred pounds. Not all at one time, but in fluctuations having mostly to do with certain medications and then pregnancies. With my last child, Gordon, I gained 45 pounds. Gordie only weighed 8. I was left with what I then coined "a lot of water weight." Ha! I have done starvation diets. I have done the "I'm only going to drink my food" diet. I have done "I'm going to drink 8 ounces of water every time I'm hungry diet." I have done the "beady-eyed animal only" diet. I have done the "I'm only going to eat one lean meal a day diet." But, each time, I found my desire for sweets, chocolate especially, to come on full and determined and persistent. Now that I'm slightly less crazy, a bit more reasonable, a little more reverent toward my body, now that I prepare mostly whole foods and nutritious meals, I have no qualms about downing a brownie. Now, especially when I know that I have Fitness Bootcamp at Natural Pathways to help keep me in check, I might eat two and not lose a wink of sleep.

Follow more here: nicolehelget.blogspot.com.

1 comment:

  1. I have done diets too and they never work. I will lose weight and feel great and then gain it all back and then some. I fall right off the wagon and it is a yo-yo cycle. I am done with yo-yo dieting. I think of it as lifestyle change now. It doesn't happen over night. It is a work in progress. Yes, I have my bad days too, but we all do. That is ok. Just keep pushing on as I say. Don't feel guilty. I really have enjoyed your recipes and I like my sweets too. I can tell you that I have tried telling myself not to eat sweets and you know what happens? If I tell myself that I can never have chocolate again, I will binge on it. I can speak for myself. Depriving myself and telling myself NO all the time leaves me to emotionally binge on something I am craving like crazy. I allow myself to have healthy sweet treats and I love my dark chocolate too! :-) Keep up the good work and I really enjoyed your blog too! :) Congrats on your weight loss!

    ReplyDelete