Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A guilt-free (or splurge) Shrimp Roll

I love a good lobster roll. But I'm cheap. So, most of the time, I love a good shrimp roll. And it's not impossible to make one healthy.

Here is a great recipe with both healthy or splurge options, and either method you choose will equal one hell of a sandwich.



                                                         Shrimp Roll

In a bowl, mix two tablespoons low-fat Greek yogurt (splurge: 2 tablespoons mayo), a squirt of lemon juice, 1/2 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning, sea salt and pepper to taste, 1/8 cup green onion. Mix. Add 1 cup salad shrimp. (I found a bag of frozen, fully cooked salad shrimp at Aldi that are just 120 calories for a third of the entire bag. Not bad!) Mix.

I used a split-top kaiser sub roll that you can spray with Promise (or splurge: butter) and toast on a griddle. The toasting of the bun is essential. You want it crispy and buttery.

On the bun bottom, add thick, leafy lettuce. Spoon your shrimp salad mixture on top. Sprinkle blue cheese crumbles. (Splurge: add bacon bits.) Top with your bun top and smoosh down to fit into your mouth. : )

On the side, fresh grapes and low-cal sweet potato fries. Enjoy!

Today's running stats:
Distance: 2.6 miles
Time: Forgot my watch
Get through it song: Thanks to the go'geous weather, didn't need one. It was Cake ... literally and figuratively. Gotta love "Fashion Nugget."

2 comments:

  1. This looks crazy good. Great work on the running, too. I've eased up on running and have taken up Fitness Bootcamp. The instructor is awesome and is kicking my butt. Love her, and it reminds me of your experience with your trainer last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Fitness Bootcamp sounds serious. Good luck to you. It's funny how acclimating to one exercise means very little about doing so with another. I bought a bike a while back and puffed all the way to work. I was thinking it would be easier to run to work than to bike it. Weird, weird.

    ReplyDelete